Becoming part of a community


Living in harmony within your community is an important part of your housing journey after halls. In Liverpool we have a number of areas where students will live within an established community, alongside long-term residents. When moving into a residential area it's important that you know what your responsibilities are as a tenant and that you consider how your everyday activities can impact on those living close by.


We have produced a number of useful resources, which can be seen below.


Joint Liverpool Students Community Pledge


The Univerisites/HEIs of Liverpool are asking their students to sign up to the Joint Liverpool Students Community Pledge. Students and staff play a vital role within Liverpool, including the wider community to build strong and respectful communities. Click the thumbnail below to view the pledge, you can also download a copy.




Student Community Guide


We produce a handy Student Community Guide annually in collaboration with Liverpool Guild, JMSU and HopeSU, which gives lots of tips for settling in and keeping safe. You can view our most recent community guide by clicking the thumbnail above.



Becoming part of a community video


Take a look at our video for tips on moving into a new community.




Being a considerate neighbour


Things have changed a lot since the start of the pandemic. We have all adapted to a new way of doing things and how we interact socially with family, friends and our communities.


  • Being part of a community and contributing positively to supporting neighbours and housemates, has helped many people with the uncertainty of recent events. 
  • When moving into a residential community you need to be mindful of the responsibilities that you have both as a tenant and as a neighbour. 
  • How we do things in our everyday life and the impact of our actions on others is an important consideration.
  • Who are the people living around you? Our communities are varied and diverse with an eclectic mix of residents who may be elderly, professionals or families.
  • It’s worth considering that people’s home life and work patterns may be different to yours.In view of what we have all experienced, one thing is for sure, tolerance levels of unreasonable noise and behaviour have been greatly reduced.



Noise and antisocial behaviour


Noise and antisocial behaviour can impact anyone living in a community whether they are students, professionals, families, elderly, long term or short-term residents.  If you are experiencing noise or antisocial behaviour  you, along with other residents, can report your concerns to the local authority in respect of noise, and Merseyside Police for antisocial behaviour.  The process is the same for all.


What is considered to be nuisance noise?


People congregating and chatting loudly in the street particularly at night, parties, loud music, slamming doors, running up and down the stairs, making noise when returning home after a night out and talking loudly in gardens late at night.


Tips for keeping the noise down

  • When heading home especially after a night out, remember to be quiet and considerate.
  • At all times and especially after 11pm, make sure your TV and music volume are low or use headphones. If you can hear it from another room it’s too loud.
  • Close windows and doors at night so noise doesn't carry.
  • Turn bass down on music speakers and Alexa Devices and position them away from adjoining walls.
  • When using your garden/outdoor space be aware of how much noise you are making. Chatting and music will disturb your neighbours.
  • Don’t let gatherings get out of control and spill onto the street.

What happens if a noise or antisocial complaint is made against you?

If you receive a noise or antisocial complaint, your accommodation provider may be informed and will contact you directly about the incidences. Your tenancy agreement will often contain clauses, referring to noise and parties within your household, so you should check what your responsibilities are. 

Your music/sound equipment could also be seized, Liverpool City Council may consider prosecuting you and you may be subject to action by your university.


Fines can be issued for persistent noise after breaching an Abatement Notice and if the tenant is prosecuted, it could lead to a criminal record.

How to make a complaint if you are experiencing noise or antisocial behaviour

If you are being subject to nuisance noise or antisocial behaviour you can report it to Liverpool City Council on 0151 233 3055 or online at the Liverpool City Council website


View the noise and antisocial behaviour complaints procedure (pdf).