How to rent private student accommodation
Renting a property in England
Before renting a property, you should take a look at the governments How to rent: checklist for renting in England guidance. This comprehensive guide gives an outline of what you need to consider before you rent a property. Your landlord or agent must also supply you with this information booklet or a link to it.
Choosing who to live with
It might be easy to think of loads of uni friends to share a house with, but you don’t really know people until you live with them! Take a bit of time to think about the following as you have to live with each other for a whole year and once you have signed a contract it isn’t easy to walk away:
- Do they have a similar idea of where they want to live and the same expectations such as how much to spend on rent?
- Are they organised with money?
- Are they a night owl or an early bird?
- Are their course study hours drastically different to your own?
- Are they super tidy or super messy and does this fit with you?
There will always be the occasional disagreement when living with others. When you first move in have a chat and agree some ground rules. This way everyone gets their say and knows what’s expected.