Types of private student accommodation



Liverpool has a wide variety of student accommodation to offer in the city centre and surrounding areas. There is a surplus, so you can take your time to compare the properties available before making a decision about what is right for you.



Private halls


This is purpose built student accommodation, similar to university halls. This type of accommodation is self-catered and mostly en-suite, where you have your own shower and toilet. Most rooms are in cluster flats, where there are a number of private bedrooms in one flat (cluster) that will share a kitchen, lounge and sometimes a bathroom. Other rooms may be self-contained studios, where the room has its own en-suite, kitchen and study area.



Shared houses and flats


This type of accommodation is a traditional house or flat that is owned or managed by a private landlord or letting agent. A letting agent is a company that manages a property on a landlord's behalf. You can search for shared houses as a group of friends or you can search for individual rooms.



Resident Landlord / Homestay


These are privately owned houses or flats where the owner resides within the building and rents out spare rooms. Some landlords may provide meals and offer more flexibility when it comes to the length of contract, so it may suit students who are in Liverpool for less than the full academic year. Homestay is also popular with international students who are looking for a family environment.



Family accommodation


Some accommodation providers will advertise their property as being suitable for families. You can find these properties on our website by doing an initial search on the accommodation search page then using the 'suitable for'  filter on the results page and selecting 'families'.


If you are having difficulty finding suitable accommodation, or have some specific requirements, please contact the office.


More information

When to start looking

Where to live in Liverpool

How to rent a property

Viewing properties